About the Conference
The 2013 Fitness & Health Social Media Conference, taking place September 26-29 in Boulder and Denver, Colorado, is the premier conference discussing the communication of cutting-edge health and fitness information to the public via blogging and social media. This conference is a unique combination of blogging, social media, and hard science and will include:
- Presentations on how to use blogging and social media in the communication of health and fitness. Topics will address blogging, e-books, mobile marketing, search engine optimization, monetization, marketing via YouTube, and more.
- Presentations on the current state of health and fitness scientific research from some of the world’s top experts.
- Fitness & Health Expo with representation by some of the top national organizations involved in the industry.
- Access to a brand-new, four-level, $70 million building at the Anschutz Center for Health and Wellness that was only completed in April, 2012. See below.
- A hard-nosed, scientific approach to the conference that vets sponsors, speakers, and activities for their scientific credentials.
- Continuing education credits for instructors certified by either the American Council on Exercise or the American College of Sports Medicine.
- An optional Thursday hike in the mountains above Boulder.
- Two dinners and one brunch included.
- Important networking time with other fitness and health bloggers and professionals involved with social media.
- Four scheduled hours of cutting-edge fitness activities where you will both learn new things and stay active.
Who Should Attend
- Fitness, health, weight loss, and healthy eating bloggers – we know you have a variety of conference options but believe this conference provides the best combination of networking and awesome content at a price you can’t beat
- Fitness, athletic, or yoga instructors who communicate with the public about their expertise (ACE and ACSM certified instructors receive continuing education credits)
- Dietitians and other medical professionals communicating with the public via the internet
- Fitness, health, and healthy food companies
- Non-profit or governmental organizations promoting health and fitness
- Fitness educators and researchers looking to improve their ability to communicate results
Location: Boulder and Denver, Colorado
Colorado is considered the fittest state in the United States and Boulder and Denver are two of the fittest cities in Colorado. Thursday (an optional hike in the mountains near Boulder) and Friday will take place in Boulder (Millennium hotel) while Saturday and Sunday will take place at the Anschutz Health & Wellness Center on the University of Colorado medical school campus in Aurora, Colorado, a suburb of Denver. With running paths throughout both cities and views of the Rocky Mountains from the windows of the conference center, Boulder and Denver are the perfect place to hold the Fitness & Health Social Media Conference. September is an incredible time to be in Colorado: the weather is usually excellent, the leaves are in the height of changing colors, and the elk in Rocky Mountain National Park are in rut and a sight to see (and hear).
Local Trade Day
Friday, September 27th is Local Trade Day at the conference. Colorado-based members of the fitness industry can attend all of Friday except the dinner at no cost. This includes the morning Vinyasa Flow yoga session, Brunch with Nature’s Path, Fitness & Health Expo, the keynote speech by Dr. James Hill of the Anschutz Health & Wellness Center, the Friday afternoon social media sessions, and the evening High Intensity Interval Training provide by the American Council on Exercise. You must be actively engaged in the fitness industry and living in Colorado to qualify. Please complete our Fit Social Trade Pass application.
Continuing Eduction Credits (CECs)
Members of either organization who participate in the Fitness & Health Social Media Conference and attend all sessions will be awarded full credits offered by these FitSocial partners.
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center at the University of Colorado Medical School is a new program that aims to be the “Silicon Valley” of health and wellness in America, helping to reverse obesity and promote wellness through the country by producing and disseminating cutting edge research in the field. The highlight of the center is a new $70 million, five-level Anschutz Health and Wellness Building that opened in April 2012.
The center will offer the following, all available to conference attendees:
- Over 100 of the top health and wellness researchers in the country, some of whom will present their cutting edge research as part of the conference content.
- Fitness center including a running track, exercise rooms, gym, and pool in which attendees can learn about and participating in ongoing research studies.
- Consumer Research Grocery Store and Research Restaurant that tests theories of healthy lifestyles related to everyday living.
- Healthy Kitchen as part of Bistro Elaia that will provide a healthy cooking demonstration.
- Resources of the accompanying $2 billion University of Colorado medical school.
Cost, Payment, Cancellation, and What is Included
The cost of the conference is $295. For active bloggers who write for a fitness and health blog, we have a discounted registration of $95 if you agree to write two blog posts about the conference. The subject of the posts is up to you – the conference, location, sponsors, speakers, content, etc. Please do not register as a blogger unless you are actually writing for an active fitness and health blog. We are able to offer this special discounted price to bloggers thanks to our sponsors and as an encouragement for all in the fitness and health field to become more involved in social media. Regardless of the price you pay, we feel this conference is a screaming deal since it includes multiple meals, fitness activities, and a whole bunch of great content.
Payment is required in advance by credit card. If you must cancel your registration, your payment is 50% refundable through May 20th and not refundable after that. Please note you can insure against losing your conference registration fee (and your airplane tickets) by purchasing trip insurance. This is only available for those of you traveling from outside of the conference area and staying overnight.
The conference includes two dinners, one brunch, outstanding content and speakers, and multiple fitness activities including a hike in the mountains above Boulder. Not included in the conference price are your hotel and transportation to and from Colorado.
Arrival and Departure
You should plan to fly into and out of Denver International Airport. The conference starts in Boulder and then moves to Denver. To reach Boulder, you can consider renting a car, taking the AB bus on Denver’s RTD (public transport), or using the Super Shuttle or the new locally-owned Green Ride. On Saturday morning we will transfer from Boulder to the Anschutz Center in Aurora via group carpooling. Finishing on Sunday, the easiest way to return to the airport is by taxi, a 20-minute ride.
In Boulder our host hotel is the Millennium, a very nice hotel with a large grounds located right on Boulder Creek and the paved Boulder Creek bicycle path. The hotel is just over a mile from the downtown walking mall of Boulder – an easy walk or reachable via the hotel’s shuttle. We have a group rate of $129 for Thursday and Friday nights. To book your room at the Millennium at our group rate, please visit this page.
Our host hotel in Denver for Saturday night is the Springhill Suites in Aurora, Colorado. The hotel is located adjacent to the Anschutz Medical Campus of the University of Colorado. While it is a one-mile walk to the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center, the walk is right through the college campus. The discounted group rate is $99 for either a King Bed (group rate link) or a Double Queen Bed (group rate link) room.
About the Organizer
The Fitness & Health Social Media Conference is organized by Zephyr Adventures. Zephyr has run active hiking, biking, and multisport tours around the world for the last 15 years including such trips as hiking on the Inca Trail, bicycling in Tuscany and Umbria, and running an active tour in the area of Yellowstone National Park. Zephyr is also a creator and organizer of niche lifestyle conferences, including:
- Wine Bloggers Conference
- Wine Tourism Conference
- International Food Blogger Conference
- Beer Bloggers Conference
We only organize conferences related to the types of tours we run: active food, beer, wine, and fitness tours. Zephyr’s owner Allan Wright and his staff also blog regularly on the Zephyr Adventures blog.